Thursday, September 20, 2007

maybe I'm obsessed.

all I can think about is jewelry designs and music. which is a good thing - the Fall Festival is coming up, so I need to have plenty of jewelry to sell, and I want to get some songs recorded soon. it's just fast. a couple of weeks ago I was still wondering what I wanted to do, where I wanted to live, should I do this or that? I think I've written at least a dozen songs in the last week. less than that have made it to paper, but it's all a process.

nine years ago I was sitting in a coffee shop talking to a guy from Brooklyn about life and music. somewhere in there something clicked and I started writing songs. that path eventually lead me to Nashville for a while, although I didn't go there to become a star. most of my friends there didn't even know I could sing, or had played the piano since I was five. I was just me. if they knew me for anything it was that I was an artist. not a musician (because that's what "artist" meant there), but the other kind - the kind who could draw and paint and tell you which color was a bad idea. I watched friends give up on dreams, and it broke my heart. some have found their way back, and one is even becoming increasing successful at it. I miss it. I miss them.

I asked a friend of mine if he'd help me record a couple of rough-cut demos. nothing fancy, just something to put out there. he said he would, so unless something comes up here, that'll probably happen on my next trip up to Nashville.

well, back to work . . .

2 comments:

Debbie C. said...

I did know that you were creative and artsy but had no idea that you wrote music!! Wow, I think that is awesome. Hope you can get some stuff recorded. I'd like to hear it sometime.

Meredith said...

I'm supposed to record some things later in the fall! :-)