Monday, March 03, 2008

safe and sound

this weekend we rescued twenty-five rabbits. TWENTY-FIVE! four are in their new homes, and other people are helping us find new, permanent homes. this one is peering out of his old cage:

some of the rabbits are ready to go to new homes now, but some are in need of a little tlc, and maybe even a nursery. in a month we'll know for sure if any of the does are going to have a litter. for the most part though, the rabbits are very healthy. only two of them I'm concerned about, so they'll stay with me until they've recuperated. overall they're also much sweeter than I was afraid they'd be - just a little on the shy side for now.

we're looking for good homes, and I'm working on what questions I'll be asking for the screening process. the big thing with that is, we want people who will actually commit to taking care of the rabbits. I also want to make sure the rabbit is a good match. "Bear" is one of the larger rabbits, so he needs more space than one of the smaller Rex rabbits. so far two of the local papers are going to run ads, so hopefully more of the rabbits will have new homes soon.

1 comment:

Debbie C. said...

how, why and where did you get 25 rabbits? Wow, what a task! The one in the pic is adorable. I have dogs so no rabbits, but I hope you find good homes.