Friday, November 02, 2007

new project!!!

ok, so I almost did a cheezy title involving socks . . . but it's early and there's no need for that.

I am almost done with my first pair of hand-knitted socks! toe up, short row heel, and I'm hooked!



the picture is a bit blurry, but it was late last night when I took it. I did manage to get one of my moon-face stitch markers in there though. the toe was done with the Magic Cast On, and Wendy Johnson's Generic Sock Pattern. Cosmispluto's short-row heel illustrations were also very helpful. it IS possible to do a whole sock start to finish on one pair of circulars, but I moved mine to double points so that I could do two socks at once.

turning a short row heel wasn't bad, and I ripped out enough stitches so that now I can get them back on the needles pretty easily. a few more inches on the cuff, and a little ribbing, and then the socks are DONE.

To cast off, I'm planning on using a binding method I found here.

3 comments:

Debbie C. said...

Hey, that is so neat!! I want to learn how to do it. Can you show me?

Meredith said...

I can, but do you know how to knit at all? socks aren't really a beginner's project. :-)

Debbie C. said...

I don't know how to knit but I can do double crochet, does that count? I've only ever done like a scarf, something really simple. I've had people tell me that I hold the needle to taut because my stitches are tight, but it's just the way I do it. I would like to learn to knit if you think I could do it. Is it fairly easy?