Thursday, September 22, 2005

Things That Make Me Happy Volume . . .

I'm borrowing the title from one of my favorite sites, but I doubt that they'll mind. That phrase just makes me happy (or smile).

So it's after midnight and I'm waiting for the washer to finish so I can hang some things to dry and go to bed (dryers are wonderful, but not for everything). At least the silk skirts dry quickly. Anyway, I found something the other day, something that I've been secretly searching for, for quite some time. And, thanks to Mr. Brown, I found it. I found my personal perfect biscuit recipe. Confused? Let me explain. I was raised in the south, hearing tales of country kitchens and days gone by. Of the made-from-scratch delights of the southern kitchen. I think I could count on one time how many times I saw a box of mix in the pantry. Mom taught us how to make everything (even yogurt at one point) from scratch. This being the case, I always had a little trouble getting the homemade biscuits to come out the way I envisioned them. As I would later come to learn from a wizened southerner, every cook has to have their own, somewhat unique, biscuit method. Oohhhh.

So one day, I'm watching Good Eats. Why? Because the show is great. Alton likes to explain why chemical reactions and such produce certain culinary masterpieces or disasters. That's great, because I like to know why my experiments might not rise the way I'd hoped. Anyway, he gave out a recipe for southern biscuits, and I tried it. Several batches later, and my family still loves them.

Thank you Alton Brown!

I think the laundry should be about done . . .

No comments: