Sunday, November 13, 2005

musically speaking

I was thinking about music again, and the things my brilliant teacher tried to impart to me while she was still alive. It seems like half of singing is finding out how certain things should feel. The way you breathe, the way a sound resonates inside, the openness of the throat, the stance, the alignment of posture. After a time, all of this becomes second nature, almost effortless. Instead of straining for a note, the feeling of that sound compensates for a bad acoustic environment. Or even a day when what you’re accustomed to hearing just isn’t the same.

Keeping in time, on tempo, in the right verse, and working the mood of the crowd is enough without worrying if you’re staying on pitch. Some of the “coolest” rock stars even figured it out. Why suffer from being hoarse and off-key, when some simple vocal training means that your gigs turn out better and you can do more of them without straining the voice? Oh, and the screams turn out louder too.

Thinking about it all makes me look forward to time for training and practice again. I know that I’m out of shape vocally when it takes longer to bounce back from all long night out or a sore throat.

Now if I could just stop pronouncing those Italian songs in French.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

how did I miss "teaching" I meant "teacher." oops.

Ironically I woke up this morning feeling like someone shoved sandpaper down my throat.

rosejaymi said...

pronouncing italian in french!

ha!

i have a tendency to pronounce swahli in spanish. i thought i was the only one.

hee hee =D

Meredith said...

I took French in HS, but my teacher went on maternity leave and her replacement was a fraud. So I can pronounce it, but not much else.

It made lessons interesting anyway.