Thursday, October 06, 2005

live & learn

I did it. Well, almost.

As of tomorrow (or the following day) I will have read all of the currently published Harry Potter novels. Yes, all of them. Some of my friends reading this might be ready to start lecturing about all sorts of dangers. However, having READ the books . . . the Left Behind series is more dangerous. Seriously. Sorry, hate to break it to you, but it's true. Harry has some decent morals, aside from some typical adolescent issues. But honestly, I remember youth group, and we weren't much better. Remember the giant frog and the pastor's toilet? (well, ok . . . IN) We even had the fireworks! Patrick should remember this, I think he actually did it. I distinctly remember chasing the frog around the grounds with half the team.

The whole uproar in the Christian community a while back over these books seems to be a pattern of late. Everyone gets all freaked out over a STUPID argument, gets all distracted, and goes on a witch hunt. (yes that was intentional) The point is, Tolkien and Lewis had people running around doing "magic" in their stories and no one seems to have a problem with it.

I got caught up in the whole thing as well a few years back. But then again, I was also caught up in a certain organization that was a LITTLE over the top about some things. The books are not for everyone, but they're not a threat.

Now, go be nice to your neighbor . . . NOW. :)

No comments: