Sunday, July 24, 2005

from dating to something else (& back again)

"Maybe next time I’ll think twice before picking up a book on dating. Not all advice is worth having." - Mandy Langston

The author wrote this piece in response to a book she noticed written by a Christian female artist. In short, the book's author had some logical advice, but discouraged dating anyone from a "broken home" background. Another example of safe politics in the Christian pseudo-life sphere. The thing is, even the ones from the "ideal" family situation are just as flawed, only in a different way. The flaw might even be overprotection - oblivion to how painful life can really be. But, it seems that some of the most beautiful, fascinating people and objects are the ones who come from imperfect origins, full of problems. It's like that story of the violin made from a wind-scarred mountain tree. The craftsman came across this tree way up on a mountainside. It was bent, twisted, and gnarled. Because of the torture and opposition, the wood had a unique strength. The craftsman cut the tree and made a violin from it. The sound from it was incredible. That's the gist of it anyway. The point is, perfection is an ideal. When I think about my friends, I think they're wonderful. They're all flawed, just as I am, and that's why we're crazy about each other. We get under each other's skin, we know what makes each other happy, and we've been there even when it was really inconvenient.

If you ever wondered how a surface of stone or metal comes to a high polish, it's because that surface has had layer after layer if scratches put into it. Abrasion - that's how it happens.

So maybe I got a little off-track there. If I were looking to date (I'm not at the moment), it would be someone who would fit in with my friends and family. Which, after this weekend at my grandparent's, means a southern democratic (or moderate) Arts-aware fellow who enjoys sports, debates, banter/sarcasm, and wine, beer or liquor in European moderation. That's just my dad's side. And since I have a say in something, being a Christian and guitar skills are prerequisites. Seriously . . . just ask any of my best friends.


Yikes . . .

2 comments:

Penelope said...

Hi, just looking at your blog and it made me think. Isn't the essence of Christianity that none of us are perfect? And that we are not to judge others? I have to agree with you. I enjoyed your post.

Meredith said...

Thanks ladies!

I love my Church, and my Faith, but there's a lot that doesn't add up in the behaviors in the culture surrounding it. Some of it starts with good intentions, but should have stayed on paper. Some of the most genuine Christians I know used to be gang members or bikers. Well, some still are bikers, but tht makes services that much more interesting. :)