Monday, July 04, 2005

a summary of the links

Blame it on Art school critiques if you will, but I believe that it's important to know why you like something, or why you don't. Example: "Why do you not like that piece?" Because the color selection is too jarring for the idea trying to be conveyed, and the perspective is sloppy. "Why do you like that band?" Because they really crafted their songs, and the lead guitarist is an amazing musician. "Why do you hate that room?" I don't, but the over the top decor would drive me nuts. And so on, etc. etc. So with that in mind, here is why I've listed the various links that I have on this blog.

Google News - Well, they were on the template, but I noticed that they pull from various sources. I like that.

Fox, CNN, & MSNBC - I was privy to a question asked of a professor one day on campus, "what's the best source for news?" His response was "All of them. Get both sides of the story."

The ONE campaign - I wrote an entry on this one.

Relevant - Of all of the Christian culture sources that I'm aware of currently, this is the one I like the most. It has a lot of good observations on things, and most of the opinions I agree with.

World Vision International - I like what they do, and one of my best friends works for them.

The blogs - The writers/owners are friends of mine.

Elizabeth Barton - She is an amazing woman and artist. I've met her personally, and really enjoyed hearing what she had to say about her design process.

Peter Loose - Another local artist. Pete was a guest artist at this Young Artists Conference we had through my high school, and it was a great weekend. Pete also happens to be one of those (few) artist who you can have a real conversation with, without all of the B.S.

Jacob Wenzka - Gifted painter and cool friend.

Burlap to Cashmere - First, let me say that the original band, original lineup was my favorite, and that is what I will always remember as Burlap to Cashmere. It was my favorite band ever. Steve is a great friend (Johnny is just crazy), and he will always be one of my favorite songwriters. Actually, he's part of the reason I started writing songs in the first place.

Third Day - One of my top five favorite bands and inspiration for one of my favorite (personal) quotes - "There's somethin' 'bout a southern boy singin'." Atlanta boys playin southern rock . . . it just makes me happy.

Phil Keaggy - Referred to (by Eric Clapton) as the greatest living guitar player, this is an amazing musician.

Boulevard - Benji is probably the skinniest guy I've EVER met, but they're really good and they put on a great show.

Coldplay - They're not U2, but I like every album I've heard.

Jet by Day - Another great band. So good live.

W3 Schools - Everything for your "web monkey" needs. Thanks for the link, Andy!

Digs Magazine - This site is just fun, and they have a fantastic movie review database. The discussion boards are great for lurking and finding how-tos.

You Grow Girl - Tons of great stuff on gardening, from normal people with jobs and day-to-day catastrophes and such.

Get Crafty - EVERYTHING for the obsessive or occasional crafter.

Flagpole - How do you figure out who or what is playing in Athens? You grab a Flagpole or check out their site. Also, with the addition of "Grub Notes" you can get the low-down on what's old, new, about to open, or about to close in the world of Athens food.

No comments: